How it started
The idea for MakerShift was hatched as an event on May 6, 2017 to celebrate Capital Region “Makers” and to shift public conversations toward exploring the impact that S.T.E.A.M. innovations are having on 21st Century life and work.
Following this initial kickoff, event organizers continued to discuss ways that they could strengthen their communities. The strategy sessions that ensued over the following months led to the launch of a makerspace in midtown Harrisburg and several new S.T.E.A.M. activities & partnerships.
Today, MakerShift is maturing into a collective network of individuals and organizations in the greater Capital Region with common goals, who share measures, plan mutually reinforcing activities, communicate regularly and pull backbone organizations together for the common good.
Interested in joining us?
We have a true passion for making.
Members of our Executive and Planning teams have both maker experience and expertise from across the S.T.E.A.M. disciplines. We believe in harnessing social power to make a collective impact in the places we live and work!
Our Executive CommitteE
Chad Frey is the President of Partnership Planners LLC, a Harrisburg, PA based consulting and software company that specializes in community engagement, social innovation and entrepreneurship. At Planners, Chad also gives leadership to The Foundry Makerspace - an educational S.T.E.A.M. makerspace that places Maker Fellows in K-12 schools to build their capacity for 21st Century life and work.
- Champion the mission and vision of MakerShift
- Supervise all Executive and Planning Team functions and organizational operations
- Convene, advise and apprise event stakeholders in the community
- Provide financial oversight and decision making
- Supervise and implement strategic planning
- Ensure event sustainability
- Liaison with event venue hosts and food providers
- Recruit and approve the selection of Executive and Planning Committee members
Director of Marketing
- Develop the design for web and print materials
- Coordinate social media
- Event photography and videography
- Coordinate vendor, sponsor and donor outreach
- Liaison with institutions of higher education
- Outreach to K-12 schools
- Contact for prospective Makers
- Grant coordinator
- Serve as press and media contact
Give oversight to arrangements for event day set up, signage and registration
Facilitate event clean up and tear down
Serve as the primary contact for event day logistics and administration